Forest School ethos
Forest School is a unique and inspirational process, that offers ALL learners regular opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem, through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland or natural environment. Children engage in motivating and achievable tasks and activities in almost all weathers. Children learn new skills whilst using tools, their play is child-led, during which they learn boundaries of behaviour, grow in confidence, self-esteem and motivation whilst developing an understanding of the natural world.
Forest School has its roots in Scandinavia and organisations who have the inspiration and desire to use the outdoors, to encourage child-led outdoor learning. It has been shown that children attending Forest School develop strong social and communication skills, have the ability to work in groups effectively. They generally have higher self-esteem and confidence in their own abilities. These foundations help to raise their academic achievement.
Forest School encourages children to:
- Develop personal and social skills.
- Work through practical problems and challenges.
- Use tools to create, build and manage.
- Discover how they learn best.
- Learn how to manage failures.
- Experience achievement and success.
- Reflect on learning and experiences.
- Develop their language and communication skills.
- Improve fine and gross motor skills.
- Build confidence in decision making, risk taking and team building.