“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
The intent of the PE Curriculum at Luckwell is that our students:
- Develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- Are physically active for sustained periods of time
- Engage in competitive sports and activities - lead healthy, active lives.
At Luckwell Primary we follow the Real PE schemes of work (including Real Gymnastics) which are fully aligned to the National Curriculum and Ofsted requirements and focus on the development of agility, balance and coordination, healthy competition and cooperative learning.
Each unit of work has a different focus to develop the key abilities necessary for success in PE and sport and across the curriculum: creative, physical, health and fitness, personal, social and cognitive.
Alongside PE lessons we offer children a range of sporting experiences and show them a diverse range of physical activity. We aim to develop the knowledge and skills of all children, mentally, emotionally, socially and physically, for now and their future.
At Luckwell we focus on the whole child so they leave primary education with a solid foundation of physical literacy to build upon and to continue to succeed.
Alongside this, Teachers teach games lessons throughout the year so children can begin to learn the skills and rules of competitive games.
Teachers have high expectations of pupils and offer appropriate levels of support and challenge to ensure that every pupil is able to succeed and be included in each PE session.
The child-friendly assessment statements (Real PE cogs) are used in lessons to ensure consistency across the school and that pupils are aware of their own progress, strengths and challenges.
Children attend an intense block of swimming lessons in Years 3, 4 & 5. With Booster sessions offered to those in Year 6 that need it. With the use of Sports Premium children are offered extra physical exercise blocks such as Forest Schools.
We are part of the Ashton Park Sports Partnership and we engage with a number of inter school sporting events and competitions – both in school and at after school events.
Children at Luckwell Primary School will:
- enjoy PE lessons, physical activity and build a good foundation for an active life.
- be able to achieve and reach success in lessons.
- be able to combine physical skills with fluency and apply them consistently to a broad range of physical activities and sports.
- be able to collaborate and communicate with others.
- understand and be able to articulate how they have made progress in individual PE lessons and over time.
- understand how to evaluate and recognise their own success.
- be able to explain the importance of leading a healthy and active life.
-have the opportunity to take part in competitive sport.
-be able to self-save and swim a range of strokes in swimming.